Phoenix Suns General Manager James Jones: Statement Regarding Sale of Northern Arizona Suns
- The NAZ Suns have been sold to the Detroit Pistons
- The NAZ Suns will play in Phoenix for the 2020-21 season
- The team will move to Detroit for the 2021-22 season and beyond
- The Phoenix Suns believe that playing against NBA player provides improvement opportunities for developing players
Phoenix Suns General Manager James Jones makes statement regarding the sale of the NAZ Suns:
PHOENIX – After an extensive internal review we determined that ownership and management of the Northern Arizona Suns does not align with the Phoenix Suns’ strategic plan for player development over the next three-to-five years, including the following factors:
- The Suns’ team priorities drive our decision-making which in this case is the development of the youngest roster in the NBA.
- Roster positions 11-15 is the focus of the organization’s developmental time and efforts.
- The teaching experience of the Phoenix Suns coaching staff operating within a shared set of guidelines creates an effective learning environment and growth opportunities for our players.
- The value of daily practice and the competition against NBA players provides significant improvement opportunities for developing players.
- We will maintain our emphasis on evaluating/scouting NBA G League players for future roster consideration.
- The NAZ Suns will play in Phoenix at a to-be-determined venue for the 2020-21 season before moving to Detroit for the 2021-22 season as outlined in the sale to the Detroit Pistons.