Representative Payees Help You Manage Your Social Security Featured

Written by Social Security, Presented by J. Dyer, Prescott DM January 30, 2022 165

Do you need help managing your money?

Big Idea

  • Some Social Security recipients may need help managing their money
  • Social Security will help you find the most suitable representative to assist you
  • They will receive your check on your behalf, and must use the money for your current needs
  • You can choose your own payee
  •


Need help? Social Security can assist you 

Some people who receive monthly Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security Income payments may need help managing their money.  When we receive information that shows you need help, we’ll work with you to find the most suitable representative payee to manage your benefits.  A representative payee receives your monthly benefit payment on your behalf and must use the money to pay for your current needs, including: 

  •  Housing and utilities. 
  •  Food.
  •  Medical and dental expenses.
  •  Personal care items.
  •  Clothing. 
  •  Rehabilitation expenses (if you have a disability). 

If you need help managing your benefits, tell a Social Security representative that there is someone you want to be your representative payee.  Your representative payee should be someone you trust and see often, and who clearly understands your needs.  Social service agencies, nursing homes, or other organizations are also qualified to be a representative payee.  Ask them to contact us.  

You can write to us within 60 days of being assigned a representative payee if you don’t agree that you need one or if you want a different representative payee. 

We also offer an option, called, Advance Designation, which allows you to designate now someone to be your representative payee in the future.  In the event you can no longer make your own financial decisions, you and your family will have peace of mind knowing that someone you trust may be appointed to manage your benefits for you. 

You can submit your advance designation request when you apply for benefits or after you are already receiving benefits.  You may do so through your personal my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount or by calling and speaking to a Social Security representative.

You can find more information at www.ssa.gov/payee

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Last modified on Sunday, 30 January 2022 03:07
Published in Arizona News

Latest Tweets

RT @Themewinter: Did you miss the latest WP Eventin release? 🧐 𝐖𝐏 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧 𝟑.𝟎.𝟒 🎉 brings you all new features and tweaks: ✅ 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐀𝐝𝐝 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐭…
@envato_help Sorry I'm 11th Level Author. Can't access account for Auth Code. ID : #2740698 Need urgent help and waiting for 6 days.
@envato_help please need urgent look here ID : 2740698. 2 days gone and Sunday is coming
Follow Themewinter on Twitter

Post Gallery

Missing 74-Year-Old Hiker Found Deceased on Mingus Mountain

Kari Lake Leads 'We the People Alliance' Rally in Prescott

RWOP Gives $14K in Scholarships to Local Students

Man Arrested for 1st Degree Murder - Allegedly Shot Girlfriend

Noel & Mary Beth Campbell: Escalating Argument Results in Accident

Sunny and Breezy This Week

AZ Gas Prices Still Very High

Movie Review: Firestarter

Gosar: TSA Needs to Accept Valid Forms of ID