New State Library Program Helps People Get Connected
- Millions of Arizona citizens do not have access to the Internet
- Connect Arizona is a collaboration between the State Library, Common Sense Media and School Connect to help all Arizonans connect to the information and technology they need to flourish
- The effort includes a statewide map of free public WIFI hotspots + Internet offers + low-cost computer options
- The project also offers free, one-on-one tech help over the phone
Connect Arizona seeks to ensure Arizonans are connected to the information and technology they need to flourish
Computers and Internet are necessary tools for life in 21st Century America, yet millions of citizens still do not have access. Some people live in remote areas that simply aren't wired yet, while others who struggle to meet the basic expenses of food and shelter, find Internet and equipment costs out of range. Connect Arizona, a collaboration between the State Library, Common Sense Media, and School Connect, is working to help all Arizonans connect to the information and technology they need to flourish. Connect Arizona includes a statewide map of free public WiFi hotspots, as well as a listing of Arizona internet offers and low-cost computer options. Check out the map and resources at https://sites.google.com/view/azlibtap/home?authuser=0 or visit to add wi-fi locations to the map!
The project also offers free, one-on-one tech help over the phone through the Arizona Libraries Tech Access Phoneline (AZ LibTAP), a team of library staff supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records. AZ LibTAP knows that learning technology is often intimidating, and that everyone can benefit from patient, trusted guides who understand digital literacy, as well as local situations.
AZ LibTAP is here to help you get online! Call with your questions about:
- computers and devices
- finding free wifi hotspots and internet offers in your area
- getting things done online, such as where to go for unemployment forms, online banking, and distance learning
- using your smartphone as a hotspot wireless network
- using your smartphone to access your email, calendar, or other apps
- using the internet to stay connected to family and friends
- accessing library e-resources
- and more!
The AZ LibTAP phone line is open Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 8:00pm.
- Call or text the phoneline at will call you someone 1519. Leave a message and-(602) 529 back as soon as possible, or at a time you request in your message.
- Visit https://sites.google.com/view/azlibtap/free-tech-help?authuser=0 and complete the online form to make an appointment and share some background information about your question/need/issue.
At this point, AZ LibTAP only offers phone services in English, but hopes to offer services in Spanish soon. Por ahora, solo ofrecemos servicios telefónicos en inglés.
Esperamos poder ofrecer servicios en español pronto.