Families offered opportunity to share bird watching experience.
- Family Birding Week starts April 17
- No need to be super accurate
- There will also be a chance to win a variety of awesome prizes
- Read more...
Join in with your family and watch the local birds
For Earth Week, the Educational Expeditions, LLC, a Prescott company dedicated to promoting outdoor activities for children and families, have joined with other entities to encourage a Family Birding Week.
During the Family Birding Week, families will be encouraged to go outside, look for birds and record what they see.
According to Mariana Altrichter, of Educational Expeditions, "The goal is to motivate people, through the incentive of bird watching, to spend time in nature with their family, develop appreciation for the wonders of biodiversity and foster care for nature.”
It’s a great activity that is accessible for everybody, as it does not require traveling or materials. People can participate by spending time in their backyard, in a local park, or anywhere nearby where there is enough natural habitat for birds. Observations can be done without binoculars. The accuracy of species recording is not what matters.
People who register for Family Birding Week will receive:
- A recording sheet to document the birds they see
- Recommendations from big time birders for where, when and how to birdwatch successfully
- A local bird guide that is specific to the habitat people want to visit
- A chance to win a variety of awesome prizes such as bird guides and binoculars for future birding adventures
This collaborative event is led by Educational Expeditions with the support and participation of several groups and businesses, including Greater Prescott Outdoor, Audubon society, Prescott College, Jay's Bird Barn, Natural History Institute, Prescott Creeks, and Community Nature Center, among others.
Find more information on https://www.facebook.com/Family-Birding-Earth-Day-Event-for-Prescott-Flagstaff-102530751879990/